By Apple (Apple Inc.)
Supported Devices :
iPad 2 3G
, iPad 2 Wifi
, iPad 3G
, iPad 4th Gen
, iPad 4th Gen 4G
, iPad Mini
, iPad Mini 4G
, iPad 3rd Gen
, iPad 3rd Gen 4G
, iPad Wifi
, iPhone 3GS
, iPhone 4
, iPhone 4S
, iPhone 5
, iPod Touch 5th Gen
, iPod Touch 4th Gen
, iPod Touch 3rd Gen
4/19/2013 | Version : 1.2.1 | Size : 7.2 MB
Introducing Podcasts 1.2
• Create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes
• Choose whether your stations begin playing with the newest or oldest unplayed episode
• Your stations are stored in iCloud and kept up-to-date on all of your devices
• Create an On-The-Go playlist with your own list of episodes
• Playlists synced from iTunes now appear in the Podcasts app
• The Now Playing view has been redesigned with easier to use playback controls
• Addressed an issue with resuming playback when returning to the app
• Additional performance and stability improvements
Podcasts 1.2.1 addresses a problem with refreshing some podcasts and an issue with upgrading to Podcasts 1.2.
11/30/2012 | Version : 1.1.2 | Size : 8.7 MB
Podcasts 1.1.2 includes a number of improvements, including:
• Tapping a podcast in Top Stations now reveals episodes you can play
• You can now easily turn on automatic downloads for all subscribed podcasts in Settings
• Addresses an issue where previously played or deleted episodes unexpectedly reappear as new
• Resolves an issue where Podcasts may unexpectedly play after a phone call or alarm
• Includes additional stability and performance improvements
9/21/2012 | Version : 1.1 | Size : 8.7 MB
Podcasts 1.1 adds support for iOS 6. This version also provides:
• Automatically keep your podcast subscriptions up-to-date between devices using iCloud
• A new setting to choose to automatically download new episodes only when on Wi-Fi
• A new setting to choose whether to play episodes by oldest to newest or newest to oldest
• Pull to refresh a subscription to check for new episodes on iOS 6
• Additional performance and stability improvements
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to, and play your favorite podcasts. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Store. Create personal stations that update automatically with new episodes. Sync playlists from iTunes, or create an On-The-Go playlist to play just the episodes you want. You can even play popular podcasts right from the built-in Top Charts.
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Play from Top Charts to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more
• Browse by audio or video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
• Create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically when new episodes become available
• Use the On-The-Go playlist to play just the episodes you want
• Sync playlists from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Tap Subscribe for your favorites and automatically get new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Facebook, Twitter, Messages, and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• iCloud remembers your place in an episode, your subscriptions, and your stations and keeps them up-to-date on all of your devices.
• Requires a device with iOS 5.1 or later
• Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
* iTunes Playlist syncing is not compatible with iTunes Match
: Top Free iPad Application
: Top Free iPhone Applications
: Top Free iPhone Applications [Entertainment]
: Top Free iPad Application [Entertainment]
Screenshots iPhone / iPod :
Screenshots iPad :
Comments and Ratings for Podcasts
Is THIS apple quality?? (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 3:47:00 PM
By Barbara Rocha
I procrastinated the best I could to download this app, due to awful reviews I had read. But today I had to download a podcast and discovered that I couldn't do it in iTunes app anymore =\
First problem: why the heck can't I read all the text in the description of the podcasts?
Second problem: why can't I make playlists and play only the episodes I choose in the order I choose?
As I discover more problems, I'll put them here.
Well, another problem discovered. The app doesn't play podcasts in a row if there are episodes "missing" (if I don't download all of them, they won't "jump the gaps" and play all in a row). WTH?? The old Music app jumped the gaps. My old iPod nano 5th jumps the gaps! Why can't Podcasts app jump the gaps and play all episodes in a row?
I'm starting to regret downloading this awful app.
UPDATE (03/02/13): I forced myself to try this app for over a month. Just uninstalled it from my iPad, and I don't want to come back, unless they make a REAL GOOD update. Music app manages podcasts better than this awfully bad Podcasts app.
UPDATE (19/04/13): after last update I gave the app another chance, and wasn't disappointed. Last update fixed most of the problems I had before (as shown in previous reviews up). Only problem I noticed so far: I still can't read all the episode description. Why?
Better but not there yet (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 3:09:00 PM
So every so often I play a podcast and it won't play for more than a second. Also, I delete one from the app, and my cars stereo still finds it when I plug my phone into it. Meaning they're not getting deleted but when I open the app I can't find them. Fix this thing already! While we're on the subject, what happened to the button in the App Store to report a problem."?
I like it :) (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 2:26:00 PM
I read the reviews before I downloaded the app and got a little apprehensive of it since everyone said it kept crashing. However, I can safely say that this app is awesome!! I found a lot of podcasts that I like, such as poetry reading, short story readings, and science related podcasts. I listen to them all the time and they never crash :) Its especially awesome when you listen to readings of classic poetry while being in a bubble bath ❤❤❤❤ I really recommend it :3
Worthless app! (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 1:02:00 PM
Where are Apple's standards anymore? This is a terrible app. It simply doesn't work. I see podcasts listed twice, each with different episodes. Downloading new content is impossible. "Playback error" plagues me.
It's a lame excuse for a podcast player and it needs Apple's full attention. And soon.
4/19/2013 12:47:00 PM
By Army Law Dog65
The idea of a separate podcast app is nice and initially worked very good. This last update on the other hand has not worked at all. The podcasts do not update and even some episodes are lost to the app. Some of the features of previous versions were better such as playing the podcasts in order based on date or moving past an episode if the content was not interesting. I've removed the app for now and hope there is an update that will remedy the problems.
Zero stars (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 12:21:00 PM
I am...correction, was an avid podcast listener. There was a dozen or so podcasts that I followed on a weekly basis, however, with this podcast app that Apple forces you to use, I have pretty much given up. I love the premise behind this app: you subscribe to the podcast and your device will auto-download the latest episodes. This is something I've been asking for for years. I hated connecting my device to iTunes in order to get the latest podcast episodes. With that being said, this app NEVER works. I have been completely unsuccessful in getting this app to download any podcasts with any sort of regularity and/or reliability. It's a shame that this app is so worthless because it claims to do exactly what I want/need.
I implore Apple to fix this app!
Sheer Trash (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 9:40:00 AM
Much slower than when podcasts were integrated into the Music app, even after the patches. Now it rarely updates, even when I attempt to do so manually. This makes it very difficult to listen to daily podcasts like news radio. Somebody at Apple deserves to lose their job over this, please change it back if possible.
It doesn't make sense (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 9:05:00 AM
So, most people have mentioned the reel to reel, I could take it or leave it… the oldest to newest being gone is irritating but you can always throw an "on the go" playlist together… here's my beef, I accumulate podcasts throughout a week depending on work schedule, now (with this amazing update) if I don't listen to these podcasts they are deleted automatically and I am then reprimanded by the app saying, the episodes have been removed because I haven't listened to enough episodes lately. Are you kidding me? I now have to get by a wifi to redownload this stuff because YOU don't think I listen to enough podcasts in a day. Two shows accounting for 4-5 hrs a day… TWO SHOWS! And I catch up by the weekend at the latest. So you say, no settings option to NOT DELETE MY EFFING PODCASTS WHEN I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN LISTENING TO THEM AND YOU PULLED THE ONE I WAS LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF FROM AN HOUR BEFORE, no option to just pull previously downloaded episodes back into a playlist (because I did NOT authorize my stuff to be deleted)… oh wait, nope. you have to redownload from there. Seriously Apple, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!
App epic fail (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 8:42:00 AM
This app was my favorite one, but since that stupid update came out its always crashes. I will be listening to music and the app will shut down every time for now reason???? Really annoying please fix this I know it should be temporary
Negative Stars? (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 8:41:00 AM
Where do I start?!?! No ability to play chapters of a podcast episode and it continues to disrespect the user every time I use this app. Is Apple trying to kill podcasts or are they suddenly utterly incompetent?
I have switched my podcast to a 3rd party app. I suggest my fellow users do the same.
App crashes right after start-up. (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 5:56:00 AM
Love how an app that Apple forces you to have doesn't work. Fix it!
4/19/2013 4:46:00 AM
This is ugly boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
This is horrible, why ruin something that works already? (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 4:35:00 AM
By Central Asia
Downloading and listening to podcasts through the old iTunes app was easy - now if you don't want every single episode of a podcast to automatically download, it seems like there is no way to get to new episodes from the podcast app and the old podcasts in your app - instead you have to go to the iTunes store and search, and then choose one to download, so it takes a process that was easy and took no time at all, to one that is a complete pain, I am starting to hate Apple more and more - between all of the planned obsolescence and this, I am ready to give up on Apple.
4/19/2013 4:03:00 AM
By Mark Fetler
The app no longer communicates with my car audio system. The previous iTunes version worked fine. Booo hooo!
4/19/2013 3:24:00 AM
By Blarg loving
Horrible!! Jobs would fire you. Please get this fixed. 0 stars!! SUCKY APP
COME ON MAN!!!
Just wipe this POS out and go back to the way the podcast used to be before the whole thing was turned onto its current state of uselessness!!!
Keeps crashing please fix (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 2:44:00 AM
This app is always crashing when you try to multi task with it. Example I play a podcast, try to go on FaceBook or Instagram while listening to the podcast it crashes
4/19/2013 1:53:00 AM
By Aging gamer
Thanks for the upgrade, now I can't listen to ANY podcasts at all!!! I would expect so much more from an apple app.
4/19/2013 1:42:00 AM
Very good app
4/19/2013 1:24:00 AM
By I fall down stairs
It's a nice feature to have but since the major overhaul.. It really stinks 💩💩 Can't download without having issues.. Have to wade through all the promoted crap.. Would prefer the "old" model over this but was forced to upgrade.. Please don't make me go to stitcher.. Fix this ASAP
Better, but auto downloads need to be greatly improved (1.2.1)
4/19/2013 12:56:00 AM
This is an updated review. The app has come a long way and is significantly better than it used to be, but it still has issues (mostly with auto downloading podcasts).
NOTE: I am using this app on an iPod Touch--it could function much better on an iPhone.
1) Automatic downloading. This is a feature that I've wanted for a while and now it's finally here. It's a huge step up. See below, though...
2) Streaming of podcasts: don't even need to download a podcast to listen to it, which is another great addition
3) Podcast discovery: Top Stations is a great addition for discovering new podcasts
1) Automatic downloading: this still doesn't work quite right. Maybe it works better on an iPhone…A lot of my podcasts simply don't update themselves. I've waited more than 24 hours then checked only to see…no updates. I've done that with the iPod plugged in in case power is an essential factor…no updates.
2) App self-maintenance: in order to save space (I assume), Podcasts will automatically stop downloading (or even updating) a podcast if you haven't played the last five episodes. There are a few problems with this. First, five is a fairly arbitrary number. Why five? I have podcasts set to keep the last ten episodes. If, say, Podcasts stopped updating a feed if I hadn't listened to the last ten I would understand and that would actually make a lot of sense, but five? Then there's the wording: "The last five". Why is it the LAST five? I could be wrong, but if I've listened to five episodes (that are not the most recent five) from a podcast, the feed will stop updating. Why? Why not just keep pushing old episodes out while bringing new episodes in? Better yet, why not just stop automatic downloads while still refreshing the feed so that I can at least see new episodes.
3) Saving podcasts: this is related to my issues in #2. If I have found a podcast episode that I really want to keep, I can't do that. Instead, it just gets pushed out as the feed gets updated. Yeah, I can "Add Old Episodes" now, but then I need to redownload. What if I'm on an airplane (with no WiFi) when I notice the episode has been pushed out? Then I'm hosed. Sure, I could just set the podcast to keep all episodes, but for daily shows that becomes incredibly cumbersome.
4) Podcast discovery: the addition of podcast discovery is great, but the execution in the app is so-so. First, the fact that it's there is awesome, but you would hope that once you select a "top station" that you, as a user, are then shown "Other Similar Titles" or something like that. Yeah, there are other podcasts in the category, but the same category doesn't mean "similar".
Some additions I'd like to see
1) A way to star an episode (or some other marking method) so that it stays on the iPod until it is unstarred.
2) A way to share specific episodes. As it stands when you go to share, it only sends a link for the actual show. I recognize that implementing this might actually be difficult...
4/19/2013 12:16:00 AM
Why does this "app" require me to re-download podcasts that I ALREADY have synced to my iPhone/iPod? Downloading takes forever for podcasts that are "enhanced" like The Rooster Teeth Podcast. The Comedy Button does fine however.
New update requires me to turn on cellular data to download or stream a podcast. I listen through my phone, where I already get Facebook updates and surf the Internet. JUST DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IN THE BACKGROUND AND DON'T EFFING BOTHER ME WITH IT
What's the problem (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 11:37:00 PM
I don't know why this app has such a low rating its a great app and runs very smooth on both 4s and 5. Highly recommend .
Used to work. (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 10:48:00 PM
My podcast used to work before the updates. Now every time I try and play it, it just shuts down on me and kicks me off. I've tried everything to fix it from reinstalling and resetting to making sure everything this is updated. It just won't work. Please fix the problem.
Apple, what exactly are you trying to do to your company? (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 10:47:00 PM
*Same day update of original review: I just checked what the current update is and app store says it's 1.2.1 released on 23 March. Today is 18 April and I am pretty sure I updated this within days of the release, so I'm wondering why in the last few days, at most, I've noticed these changes – which are detailed later in this review – without changing anything in settings relating to podcasts on any device.*
Okay, generally speaking I have been happy with just about everything Apple has put out since I first got a Mac in 2007– that is until around the release of iTunes 11. Also, I generally hate it when people give something a one-star or lowest rating for something that clearly isn't worthy of such a low rating, but I feel the circumstances here warrant this, and some companies seem to respond better when enough reviews are so – particularly when they are valid and detailed complaints. Since iTunes 1, it seems EVERYTHING, on the whole, has taken a nose dive in function, design and usability. Is Arthur Levinson (chairman of Apple) a saboteur from Microsoft or Google?
So to the actual podcast app. I regretted from day one getting this app and losing the functionality I had in Music. Full disclaimer, I listen to A LOT of podcasts and take them pretty seriously – probably too much. I generally keep most of the podcasts I listen to for reference and I like to be able to rate and classify as I listen to them. I'm fine with not being able to move a particular podcast to a playlist or whatever, but is it really asking too much to be able to give it a star rating so I could more easily find the one I really liked while listening on my phone or iPad or just to rate in general so I don't have to do it on another platform? I'm a science person (some may call such a person a scientist) and listen to quite a number of highly respected sources that just so happen to have podcasts, and they can be very helpful to reference for my own research They point out new research, the people and where to find more info, so being able to easily find something related to a current topic I'm covering, from say a year or five earlier, is pretty helpful and makes for efficient use of my time. I say all this because I want you to know that people do use this medium for professional and generally serious stuff; it's not just silly podcasts that amount to a fun way to kill time – which I have my own that I listen to that fall into that category as well.
For the actual current issues I have with the app, I must've missed when the most recent update came out because today I experienced some frustration trying to use some features that were there not that long ago. What happened to the timed stop-function (which I used 99% of the time to stop a certain podcast when it was over – which I've wanted from day one since getting my 160 GB iPod some years back)? What about a visualization of your time into the podcast and how long the podcast is while listening to it, and a way to move forward or backward in the podcast without it being in 15 second increments – this is not fun when you're listening to a one hour podcast and want to skip back to something earlier, say 20 min? I have to believe I'm just missing something or a setting somewhere, because this is some pretty basic stuff. Then there's the whole syncing issue between devices – and I'm not even talking about seamless starting and stopping on multiple devices! I'm just talking about it updating what I've listened to on one device to another. I finally gave in and updated to Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro just in the hope it would clear up the syncing issues in iTunes between my laptop, iPhone 4S and iPad mini (by the way, Mountain Lion wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from the reviews, but it's still filled with disappointments). At this point I'm not even asking for it to be able to do this over miles of separation between devices; I'm just talking about when all three devices are on the same Wi-Fi network and my MacBook is on with iTunes open. My phone and tablet are pretty good about staying synced with each other as for what I am currently listening to and what I have listened to, but my computer doesn't seem to care about what's going on with those two.
Apple, please, oh please, just go back to how things worked when Steve Jobs was running the show. It's getting much harder each day that passes to be able to say convincing things to non-Apple users as to why I use them and why they should give them a try. This wasn't even the case a year ago, but I guess there was going to be a lag before the things Steve Jobs put in motion would be toppled by bad ideas. I'm just hoping meow that one of the many dissatisfied Apple customers in serious computer circles takes this opportunity to be the next Steve Jobs.
Episodes are disappearing (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 8:51:00 PM
Time to time downloaded podcasts episodes are disappearing. It extremely bad especially if I recognise it outside where my GPRS to slow to download episode again. Apple should more care for their products!
A lot of problems (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 8:21:00 PM
The app doesn't catalogue podcasts, so if you pause a podcast too long you have to download it again and "fast forward" until you get back to where you left off.
The fast forward "jams" the app if you press it too many times.
New podcasts are not displayed until you select an older podcast.
It could be a great app with some tweaking.
Fix bugs (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 7:09:00 PM
By Needs help fixing bugs AS AP
This app needs to get fixed. I used to use it every day and now all of a sudden I can't play a podcast for 10 seconds before it freezes and closes the app. Please fix this so I can go back to using it
Why is the latest update so terrible? (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 6:30:00 PM
I loved this app until the latest update. Now the graphic of the tape wheels is gone and I often cannot get the controls to show.
Fix it!!!! (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 5:57:00 PM
By kyle cox
App hasn't ran since the update. It'll start and play for 30 seconds and then crash
Very Disappointing (1.2.1)
4/18/2013 5:04:00 PM
There are so many things wrong.
1. The download buttons are so small that if you don't hit it just right it tries to play it over the cellular network.
2. It keeps marking ones that I've listened to as unplayed the next day.
3. When going into the store it will keep reverting back to the search screen when trying to download a podcast after searching to find it.
4. It is a pain to keep flipping back and forth between library and store.
5. And personally I don't care for the look and feel of it.
Bubble Shoot ►
Price : Free
Spider Solitaire ►
Price : Free
Price : Free
Price : Free
Bubble Blast Halloween
Price : Free